December 27, 2009

Looking forward by looking back



On June 4, 2003, I wrote:
It starts like this, I suppose. A blank page waiting to be filled with mild musings, wild flights of fancy, and everything in between.

People start blogs for any number of reasons, some rational, some not. The last couple of years millions of people have started up a blog with the firm conviction that if they could just find the right tone, they could become rich without ever leaving the comfort of their livingroom. That is not why I started mine.

Back in 2003 I was a very active member of an online writing community called, "stories.com". I wrote then for the same reason I write now, I cannot do anything else. Like an addict returning to their poison of choice, if I go more than a few days without writing down my thoughts I start to twitch, my brain gets foggy, and my personality shifts into a dark territory frequented by Mr. Hyde who for his part sometimes seems to be my very close cousin. When I do take the time write, my thoughts become more coherent, my mood brightens, and the world around me breathes a sigh of relief. As long as I find time to write, I'm a pretty nice guy and people enjoy having me around.

Mostly.

This is post 134 for the year 2009. That is important because it turns out that I also wrote 134 posts during the period from June 4, 2003 to December 25, 2008. This year has been so difficult for me emotionally and spiritually that I have been forced to feed my addiction as often in 12 months as I did in the five and a half years that came before. So what happened in 2009 that made it such a tumultuous year for me?

For starters, my sons reached a point where they no longer needed my constant attention. Finally given time to pause, I lifted my head and I looked at the world around me only to discover I no longer recognized it. Call me overly dramatic if you like, but a dark evil has descended on modern America, and no, I do not mean the color of President Obama's mulatto skin.

On January 1, 2009, as I contemplated the year ahead, I wrote this:
The last fifty years has seen the United States of America moving steadily and irresolutely into slavery to selfish passions. Once we are enslaved to our own passions, we will need a dictatorial, oppressive government to prevent us from destroying one another utterly and completely. The kind of "change" Barack Obama has promised to bring us cannot come from the Oval Office. No matter how hard he tries, Obama cannot save us from ourselves. The only person who can save us from ourselves is Jesus Christ.

You know what the most annoying aspect of the prophecy game is? It's this, when you try to prophesy, you fail and then when you speculate mindlessly, sometimes you wind up prophesying. From the moment I saw the plane hit the second tower on 9/11, I knew in the depths of my heart that the only person who would truly profit from this event would be President George W. Bush. After he passed the Patriot Act I woke up everyday wondering if today would be the day he declared Martial Law and disbanded Congress. He had many opportunities, but he never followed through on the groundwork he laid with that one act. To my dying day I will never understand why. Every decision he made, every executive order he signed, laid one more brick on the crypt of American freedom but he never bothered to hang the door.

And then Barack Obama came along promising change and I felt so relieved I was almost giddy.

Then Barack Obama became President Barack Obama and only one month later I was beginning to see unmistakable evidence of rampant collectivism in his czars, his executive orders, and his international posturings. Within a single month I went from an enthusiastic fan to a suspicious critic. And now, as 2009 draws to a close and Bush's foundation not only remains in place but has been dramatically strengthened, I wake up every morning wondering if today will be the day that President Barack Obama declares Martial Law and disbands Congress.

If the current House and Senate bills are successfully joined and healthcare reform as envisioned by the current administration passes, America will have become a dictatorship in all but name. Next will come "social justice" regulations intended to create a "happier, healthier society" and "corporate honesty regulations" intended to prevent any company in America from dismissing unqualified, unwilling, apathetic workers, "who really need their jobs". By the end of 2010 there will be so much internal chaos that it would take a supreme act of conscience and ethics for President Obama not to resort to martial law in an effort to restore order. Personally, I don't believe he has the ethical fortitude to let the system unwind on its own.

To my mind the only question that remains is if the past six years have been a clear demonstration of complete and utter incompetence in American politicians or if all of this is some kind of master plan fully intended to destroy the current Constitutional Republic (or what remains of it) in order to erect something new.

I wish I could believe it was incompetence. I really do. Sadly, I still have enough respect for American politicians to believe that someone, somewhere knows exactly what they are doing. I do not know who the puppetmaster is, it might even be President Obama himself, but the coherency of their actions and the consistency of the result clearly demonstrates that nothing this administration has implemented has been accidental or incompetent. Someone is taking apart the Constitution line by line and they are so convinced of their own invulnerability that they are doing it right in front of us.

There is a major election next November. There is one last chance for the American people to remind everyone in Washington that this is our country, we are in charge, their job is to represent our wishes, and not to impose their own utopian vision of what our nation should be.

268 posts in six and half years, half of those in the past year alone. Yes, I'm scared. I know that ultimately everything unfolds according to God's plan, but given the choice, I would much rather redeem America than watch it collapse.

The only problem is I'm pretty sure my personal choice has nothing to do with it.


Post a Comment