September 22, 2004

Little red guys



Little guys mean big trouble
Posted by Hello
Card image copied from Wizards of the Coast
Card art, text, layout and name are property of Wizards of the Coast and are protected by copyright.



As the three people who regularly skim over these random chatterings already know, I love games. One of my favorite games of all time is Magic the Gathering. Every October Magic the Gathering comes out with a new expansion. Three hundred brand new cards to collect, play with, sort through, add to old decks, or inspire new decks. Two weeks before the release date they have a special tournament called a "pre-release" where players can get a small assortment of the new cards (technically, one tournament pack and two booster packs), build a deck and try them out in one of the few truly casual tournaments on the annual schedule. I love pre-releases and have been to many of them. On September 18th & 19th, I went to the pre-release tournament for the new Magic the Gathering set: Champions of Kamigawa.

There are few things in life more fun than a deck of cards with colorful pictures!

Champions of Kamigawa features 306 new cards, many of them are extremely powerful and will change the way people of all skill levels approach the game of Magic. One of the cards I got at the pre-release is the card above, Zo-Zu the Punisher. In all honesty, at first glance this is one of the more unimpressive cards in the set. Probably very few people will use this card in professional tournament decks. However, at the pre-release I found it to be one of my most powerful tools. This little guy is responsible for at least two of my wins and all of my ties. Two things stand out from every game I lost, and one of them is not drawing this card in the first few turns. When he hit the table every single one of my opponents was forced to re-evaluate their strategy and playstyle. Over the course of two days playing I learned to love this little guy and although I am no pro, I am strongly tempted to build a deck designed to bring out his strengths and shore up his weaknesses.

However, the real lesson from this past weekend has nothing to do with Zo-Zu. The one thing I took to heart was that no matter how old I get, for better or worse, inside I will always be an eleven year-old kid who'd rather play games than chase girls or worry about where his next meal is coming from. Sad but true, I still haven't grown up and probably never will.
Post a Comment