November 24, 2005

Have Cape, Will Fly!


Have Cape, Will Fly


New Cape
Posted by Picasa


One of the most interesting aspects of the CoV/CoH MMORPG is the ability to fly. Although a hero or villain can gain flying by level 14, it is not until level 20 that they earn the right to wear a cape. I don't know about heroes, but in order for villains to earn this right they have to do a special mission that takes them into an empty instance of Atlas Park where they desecrate a hero's statue and defeat a hero. Once they take the fallen hero's cape back to Kalinda, capes appear in the options available at the tailor.

So off Empress Dusty Enalios went in search of her quarry. The streets of Atlas Park were devoid of their normal pedestrians and vehicles. There was nothing in sight but clusters of Longbow patrolling for bad guys to stomp on. When the instance opened and I looked out on the scene my first thought was, "I might be a villain, but after this the people of Paragon should thank me! The place has turned into a police state!"

The first thing I did was fly around the edges and see how much of Atlas Park was actually available to me. Turns out it was about a third, although I will admit, I'd have to go back into CoH and zip around in Atlas Park itself to confirm that.

The groups of Longbow were spaced far enough apart that taking out one group would not draw the attention of the next. Since I soloed the mission, this was a good thing. It took less time than I thought it would to find the statue I was supposed to destroy. Once that was done, I got ambushed by a trio of Longbow led by a Ranger. When they were mopped up, another ambush came in. This time a Longbow Commander and two Captains. That was tough, and in all honesty, they almost had me. It took two rounds of summoned robots, and the battle lasted long enough to summon Triage Beacon twice, which has a 90-second recharge timer.

While I was still licking my wounds and wondering how much harder the Hero would be, she showed up! A hero NPC named Ms. Shock and a single Longbow Rifleman in support. Ms. Shock didn't do much damage with her electric attacks, but she was quite tough and didn't take damage easily. After the Longbow Commander and Captain battle, though, this one seemed almost anti-climatic. Not that it was easy! Her high toughness made her very hard to kill and it took quite awhile, but I was able to get by on my existing robots and I never felt compelled to drop another Triage Beacon.

Back to Kalinda I went, then straight to the tailor to pick out my new cape. The design is called "Celtic" and the editor allowed me to set the design, the length, and the style, as well as the colors for both the inner and outer surfaces.

Dusty Enalios looks quite regal now, I think. Although if Andromeda Redux continues to grow and she becomes a bonafide empress I will have to see about getting her a new costume. The pirate garb is sexy, but hardly elegant.
Post a Comment