October 31, 2005

Who's afraid of the big, bad wolf?


Who's afraid of the big, bad wolf?
Posted by Picasa


Life as a villain is sweet! City of Villains is now live and man is it fun! Ever since reading the Marvel comic "Werewolf by Night" when I was a kid I've wanted to be a werewolf and now I can. Not only do I have fangs and claws and a mean streak, I can throw fireballs like there's no tomorrow, rob banks, beat up on both good guys and bad guys, and generally raise havoc. Virtual reality is a wonderful thing!

Is there anyone left who does not believe that the VR world we all envisioned a decade ago is now a reality? Okay, maybe we don't have neuro-implants, body suits, and that kinda stuff, but MMORPG style games such as Lineage II and City of Heroes have now made it possible to log in, create a fantasy character all your own, and live out that character's life in a way so compelling that most people intuitively identify directly with their character. When they talk about their online presence they don't say, "my avatar is an elf", they think and readily affirm, "I'm an elf".

Virtual reality is no longer science fiction. It is now real, and has been for the past couple of years.

Do yourself a favor, go play a game!
Post a Comment