September 18, 2008

Leaving Laodicea




For two months now, almost three, I've been growing back into my former zeal for service to God. I can't, and won't, justify the decade or so I spent muddling along believing but not doing anything. I've been living in Laodicea, a place that when I was young I swore I would never spend time in, and yet, here I am! I've spent a decade and a half lounging by the fountains, wandering the market, exchanging greetings with my fellows, and accomplishing nothing.

I don't know what the next decade is going to be like. I strongly suspect the world will not last another decade, but, like Jonah, it is not the first time I've said so only to watch the world repent and delay the judgment another generation. Unlike Jonah, it won't surprise and anger me if suddenly the fire of revival sweeps across the modern world, the bankers are unseated, the people are uplifted, and democracy returns to its former glory under the watchful eye of repentant Christians hungry to please God.

Our civilization is at a crossroads. We have been here before. Depending on which path we take, the day may come when we stand here again. I, for one, am praying for revival. I am sending the light into the dark corners of my heart and letting it burst forth into the shadows that surround me. Perhaps revival will come and once again the judgment will be delayed, providing fuel for the scoffers and fools that refuse to see the hand of God in the world around them while providing strength and encouragement for all God's children.

I don't know about anyone else, but I have left Laodicea behind me. I might not know where this road into the wilderness will lead, but I know well what I have left behind and I have no desire to return.

Shalom! Peace of God be upon you. Whether we meet in this world or at the judgment seat of Christ, may his light shine fully upon you and illuminate the darkest corners of your life.


Post a Comment