October 18, 2008

Those in the know agree: we're doomed!




Wikipedia article describing the life and work of Anna Schwartz
January 2008, Daily Telegraph article describing her analysis of the current crisis
October 2008, Wall Street Journal article describing her analysis of the bailout

And, the video that inspired today's entry, a "devilishly handsome" satire on the Bernanke-Paulson financial dictatorship:




I look at the items above and before I even read them or watch the video I see this:

When the lamb opened the third seal, I heard the third living creature say, "Come!" I looked, and there before me was a black horse! Its rider was holding a pair of scales in his hand. Then I heard what sounded like a voice among the four living creatures, saying, "A quart of wheat for a day's wages, and three quarts of barley for a day's wages, and do not damage the oil and the wine!"
Revelations 6:7-8


I wonder how much longer I am going to need to continue spelling it out. Our world has reached a crisis point the likes of which we have not seen in five thousand years of recorded history. If the church does not repent of its continuing worldliness, if the world does not repent and turn to the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob and acknowledge him as creator, the downward spiral will continue until we reach this point:

If those days had not been cut short, no one would survive, but for the sake of the elect those days will be shortened.
Matthew 24:22


I spent fifteen years quoting these same passages to everyone I knew. From the time I was fourteen until my life became filled with daily concerns of raising two children and keeping my wife happy. Roughly, the calendar years 1975 to 1990. In all honesty, I am not happy to see these things coming to pass right before my very eyes right at the point where my children are reaching adulthood and preparing to make their mark upon the world. Everyday I pray for revival because the one thing that historically has consistently delayed the final judgement has been a strong, widespread revival.

The explosive growth of the church kept the judgements restricted to the Holy Land in the 1st Century.
An explosion of spirituality that spawned massive cathedral building in the 11th Century made the doomsday-proclaiming wandering peasants of the 10th Century look like fools.
The 15th Century Reformation movement and the revival that followed made fools of the late 14th Century breakaway heretics who proclaimed the Crusades had proven the Church had become the harlot of Revelation 17 and announced the Day of Judgement was at hand.
The North American, European, and Australian end-times revival of 1830-1840 made a fool of William Miller and his followers, giving birth by accident to the modern Seventh Day Adventist Church.
The massive, global, "Born Again" revival led by Billy Graham and the corresponding charismatic movement which originated within the Catholic Church made fools of the hobo and hippie preachers of the 1960s who saw racism, the revival of the nation of Israel, and the Cold War as the fulfillment of Matthew 24-26 and Luke 12-18.

I look out at the world today and I see the Seven Seals of Revelation 6 being opened one by one. Instead of revival, I see scattered individual believers turning to their Bibles for comfort and calling for repentance in YouTube videos while mainstream churches empty in droves and Christians from every culture gaze in desperate hope at health, wealth and prosperity preachers like Joel Osteen.

I'm selfish. I want my children to know a world as comfortable as the one I lived in, or perhaps an even better world, but instead of revival in the churches and reform in the political system I see corrupt bankers being given hundreds of billions of dollars by corrupt politicians in the hope of preserving a failed system.

Please, I'm begging you. Dust off your Bibles, go back to the churches, repent of your sins, rediscover the reality of the divine in the beauty of God's creation. Bring the world back into alignment will all that is holy and make the current crop of doomsday criers like myself into fools and lunatics by bringing revival to the land.

I say the world is ending, but even as I say it, I am hoping the world will prove me wrong.


Post a Comment