December 24, 2010

Christmas 2010




There is a lot going on right now. Crisis after crisis rocks through the globe threatening the sanity and stability of each and every one of us. The Christian world withdraws for this one day to celebrate the birth of Christ, most of Asia will skip over Christmas and celebrate New Year's Day instead. Atheists ignore the day, Wiccans celebrate some form of Samhain, and agnostics do as they please. Outside my house the snow still falls. My first real white Christmas. It's not as magical as I had hoped, but I'm a lot older than I was the first time I understood the magic of Christmas.

I reflect, as I have for the past decade, on the men and women in Iraq and Afghanistan who would much rather be back home any day, but most especially on this day. Friends who spend the day missing loved ones that passed from this life to the hereafter are also on my mind, and in my heart. I have a few losses of my own, naturally. No one arrives at this point in life without some loss. I read Luke and Matthew, skim through Isaiah, and pray for everyone I know as well as everyone I do not know. Christmas, for me, has become a holy day of reflection more than anything else. Perhaps I am getting old.

I am closing this blog out at the end of the month. Next year, I will start something new. I haven't decided yet what it will be, but the time has come to move on to something different. Once I have the new blog set up, I'll post a link here, and that will the last post I will ever make in Brian's Meandering Mind. My mind does not wander as much as it used to, and although it has yet to settle on any one thing the range has dramatically narrowed over the past year or two.

Christmas is here, in a few hours it will have passed. Christ, his mission, his life, and his victory will remain, but all of us will be a year older and a year further away from the manger where his mother laid him. After two thousand years one thing is perfectly clear, when Jesus proclaimed, "Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away," he was only being honest.






Post a Comment