March 15, 2011

Japan and the Middle East in crisis




Like most of the world connected to television and the internet, I have been watching events unfold in Japan and the Middle East with morbid fascination. The parallels with Biblical prophecy are extreme to the point that taking time to outline them would be both redundant and unnecessary. If we are not living in the precursor to the Biblical "last days", then I honestly do not know what reasonable explanation there is for the expotential increase in war, disaster, and suffering that the past decade has brought us. We are teetering on the brink of social collapse on a global scale. While it is entirely possible that we will find our way out of this mess, at this point in time is it equally possible that our modern civilization is coming undone right before our very eyes. What the final product will be, and whether it will be better or worse than what we have had for the past two centuries, is still undecided.

Anyone who believes that human industry and industrial waste caused the earthquake and tsunami in Japan is either delusional or fighting to advance a hidden agenda. I am ignoring such people completely, blocking them at Facebook, and refusing to answer their e-mails. Likewise, I am doing the same for anyone who insists unequivocably that events in the Middle East will result in modernization, greater freedom for the people, and truly open societies. I hope Japan's nuclear power plants do not suffer catastropic meltdowns. I hope the people of the Middle East are on the threshold of joining the modern world. Both of those situations are fluid and dynamic and even the experts are uncertain what the final outcomes will be. Now is not a time for dogmatic insistence on a single possible future. No one truly knows. At this point in time the best any of us can do is prepare for the worst, hope for the best, and pray for those who are suffering.

I am praying and watching. I am stocking my shelves, buying silver, and distracting myself by learning to play guitar. Even if we work our way through this mess and wind up with utopia, these things will help me survive the transistion. If everything falls apart, I am prepared for the first few years of chaos and stand a very good chance of surviving long enough to see for myself what we wind up with once we reach the other side.

Things are bad right now, very bad. My wife and sons are in Tokyo trying to get back to a normal life while keeping an eye on news reports about the Fukushima nuclear plant. I have friends in the Middle East that I have not heard from since December so I have no idea how they are doing. I do not understand how so many people can go about their days pretending that none of this is happening. I have no patience at all for either blind optimists or doomsayers. This is the most dangerous moment in human history since John F. Kennedy took us to the brink of nuclear war in October of 1962. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure things are going to get even worse before they get better.






Post a Comment