February 06, 2012

City of Heroes "Spring Fling" starts Wednesday




The past three years my blog has been overloaded with current events. This year is a critical year in global history. We stand on the threshold of a new era and this year will decide the nature of that era. Yes, it really is that important. This year is the year everything changes, one way or another.

However, I haven't given up on my virtual life. I don't play as often as I used to, but I still love MMORPG style persistent virtual worlds. Lineage II is, in my never humble opinion, still the most beautiful game world out there. The most enjoyable game, at least for me, is still City of Heroes, which is now free to download and free to play. There are a few differences between the free version and the subscriber version. Most of those differences will be meaningless to the vast majority of new players. If a particular feature is important to you, that feature can be purchased by itself for a minimal fee.

This week City of Heroes will host an annual event they call, "Spring Fling". I have played a great number of holiday events in a wide variety of online games. Far too many to count. As far as I'm concerned, the single most enjoyable holiday event in any online game is City of Heroes Spring Fling. It brings together enemy factions for a variety of cooperative missions, enchances gameplay with a variety of "buffs" that must be applied to an opposing faction, and rewards cooperative gameplay more richly than normal missions do.

It's free to play, it has more creative freedom than any other MMORPG, and on Wednesday the most entertaining annual event of them all kicks off at ten in the morning Eastern Standard Time.

So I'm taking a break from the weighty issues of the day. A short break, but a break. Egypt is going to continue to slide into chaos, Syria is going to continue to implode, Greece is going to go bankrupt and America is headed that way, as well. I'll worry about those later. Something tells me the small difference I can make is not going to be missed.

City of Heroes: Spring Fling is just around the corner!


Post a Comment