May 07, 2017

Ship of Heroes


For five years I have been following Heroes and Villains, City of Titans, Valiance Online, and Atlas Park Revival, along with half a dozen more that have now fallen by the wayside. Obsession is a funny thing. Different people have different obsessions. Some people are obsessed with sex, some people are obsessed with vodka, some people are obsessed with robotics, some people are obsessed with classical music, and some people are obsessed with their own self. Everyone has some kind of obsession. If nothing else, they are obsessed with avoiding obsession. City of Heroes, especially after the release of City of Villains, was my obsession for a very long time. I was there for the first Open Beta, I was still there when they shut down the servers. Every single game in existence pales next to the achievements of City of Heroes. It was not an easy game to understand, and on some days it was not an easy game to love, but it embodied innovations in creativity and versatility that no other game has been able to match. In a world of equipment-based medieval fantasy clones, City of Heroes offered dramatically different character creation, character enhancement, and combat strategy. Nothing else even comes close, not even Champions Online, which was also created by Jack Emmert and Cryptic Studios.

It is an odd thing in life that from time to time something arises out of the mist that completely rewrites a paradigm. City of Heroes rewrote the paradigm of online gaming, but no one else followed their success. Bits and pieces here and there were borrowed, but the overall product still stands alone in the history of online gaming. The degree of customization, the powerful strategic importance of secondary effects of combat powers, the ability to use enhancements to completely personalize how one character's powers function, remain completely unmatched. So I have waited five long years, following all of the most likely successors, dreaming of the day I could once again fly through the skies of a modern city fighting evil, and all for nothing. No one I have been following is even close to creating a worthy successor. And then suddenly Ship of Heroes appears out of nowhere! The connection to Jack Emmert's brainchild is as clear as day, but original thinking and the carrying forward of the paradigm into even greater innovation, are also present.

I confess. I had completely given up hope. Five years is a very long time. Half a decade. I have published two books, written over two hundred blog posts, made online friends in Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan, built a house in Ohio to reconnect with my father, and renewed my love of firearms. It has been a very busy five years. Just recently I finally accepted that I would never again find a game that appealed to me. My newest computer, an ASUS Zenbook Flip UX360UA, is a masterful tool for writing and drawing, but completely unsuitable for playing a MMORPG. This is the only computer I have bought since 2003 that could not run a MMORPG, the first time in over 15 years I have bought a computer from the middle of the pack instead of the fastest, most powerful top-of-the-line game machine I could afford. This is a very fine, very useful computer and I am very happy to have bought it, but if either Ship of Heroes or City of Titans actually launches in 2018, this computer will become my second-best because I will definitely need a primary gaming computer.

Now all I have to do is figure out a way to make money playing superhero games...



Post a Comment